Friday, December 18, 2009

Surviving and Thriving as a Real Estate Agent: Part 2

In my last article, I discussed the steps Realtors can take to thrive even in these challenging economic conditions. These steps were:

1. Develop Your Niche
2. Become An Expert in Your Field
3. Be Mobile/Adapt
4. Develop a Marketing Campaign


In this article, I would like to discuss Steps #2 & #3 in further detail.

Becoming An Expert in Your Field

I cannot stress enough how important it is to identify a niche (as we discussed in the last article) and establish yourself as an expert in that particular area. Clients genuinely appreciate and flock to agents who really know what they are talking about. Do your research.

I have found that Google Alerts provides me with an excellent vehicle for educating myself and staying on the cutting edge of topics that I am interested in. All you have to do to use Google Alerts is to sign up for a Google or Gmail account, sign in to their alert system, register your key words/topics that you are interested in and begin receiving the best articles and blogs to follow on a daily basis.

When I identify a hot spot for investors, it is because I have done extensive research on that topic. I am able to combine the knowledge I derive from that research with the gut feelings that I have been able to develop over the years. I also travel extensively and am always personally checking out areas that are on my radar. There is no substitute for first hand knowledge. If you are planning on specializing in a certain development or neighborhood, make sure that you visit that area on a regular basis to stay abreast of changes, new growth, different conditions, etc. The last thing you want is to market yourself as an expert in a certain area and then be surprised when your potential client knows more about the project or neighborhood than you do.

Also, in my research, there are some experts in their respective fields that I follow closely and whose opinions I respect. These individuals and groups include: Bruce Norris and the Norris Group, John Burns Real Estate Consulting, Robert Shiller and the Case Shiller Index, and local Las Vegas economist Keith Schwer. These men and their support staffs do an amazing amount of research and by reading up on their newsletters and reports it is easy to stay on top of and spot trends in the marketplace.

Be Mobile/Adapt

I would like to expand on the idea of traveling to the investment hot spots. Being in the places where people actually want to buy, and are buying, will enhance your chances of becoming a leader in your field. Specializing in a niche within a niche will also help establish your reputation as a leader in your area of expertise.

Between 2003 and 2006, I was heavily involved in several real estate markets. Whereever the hottest market could be found… I was there. I was in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and North Carolina just to name a few. I stayed tuned-in to where investors were heading, as I was one of them, and invested in all of these markets myself. Since the summer of 2008, I have specialized once again in the Las Vegas valley, but this time it has been foreclosures and REO properties… not new construction homes. I knew it was time to gear myself back up for sales in the Las Vegas area as I watched the prices of single family homes and condos drop rapidly due to the glut of foreclosures flooding the market. These lower prices created homes that could be purchased and rented for very good cash flow… better than Vegas has seen in decades. I took the opportunity to begin educating myself about this niche in this market, develop my marketing materials, and get ready to welcome the investors that I knew would soon come running into the Las Vegas housing market once again.

Even if you cannot travel as extensively as I did in the search for the nation's hottest real estate markets, it is important to stay mobile within your own home area. Perhaps one neighborhood in your city or town is in transition. Perhaps a lot of rehabbers have moved in and are turning the neighborhood around. This might represent great upside buying potential for your clients. This phenomenon will only last so long though. Soon prices in the neighborhood will begin to rise and it will be time to move on and look for the next buying opportunity.

Above all, it is important to adapt. No one real estate market, or project, or strategy will work long term. We must be willing and able to continuously adapt. Our chosen niche will often dry up and we must be ready to pick a new niche and move on.

Next time we will discuss Step #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment